Alvernia Bilingual School
With 240 students, the Alvernia School began work in the city of Bogotá in 1942. Months before, Sisters, Sister María Aquilina Wenrle and Sister Catalina Zanher had been negotiating for the purchase or lease of land that would allow them to give the green light to the project. of an Institution with Primary and High School.
The First Superior and foundress was Mother Albina Niedermann with a group of more than 12 nuns who, guided by Mother Caridad Brader, founder of the Congregation, continued to travel the country to evangelizing and building educational centers where children had the right to an integral education based on in the Franciscan spirit and Christian values.
The School focused on educating girls who would maintain a fraternal spirit inside and outside the Institution, who would be capable of self-evaluating themselves as agents of change, very conscious of social reality.
Our goal is to continue to provide society with leaders of Peace and Goodness capable of making human dignity and Christian greatness feel.
Mother Caridad Brader was born in Switzerland where, in her youth, she joined a community of Franciscan nuns dedicated to contemplation and teaching. In cooperation with other nuns, she went as a missionary to Ecuador and, years later, to Colombia, where she spent the rest of her long life. In order to better respond to the numerous and urgent needs of people, she founded the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate, a congregation that she governed for many years with wisdom and prudence, instilling in her nuns both the contemplative dimension of their lives and their dedication to evangelizing action.
There are 130 years in which the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate extend in the more than fifteen countries where we are present, the motto of our founder to do “Everything for the love of God and as He wants it”.